According to the dictionary, a heart is “the essential or most vital part of something.” In our bodies, the heart is the essential and most vital part of us, for without it there would be no life. Heart health is extremely important and should never be taken for granted. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN has care management teams to help with heart conditions, cardiac care, and maintaining heart health.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. As we age, many begin to think of heart health and what to do to prevent heart problems such as congestive heart failure, and heart attacks. The following tips can serve as a guide to improving heart health.
- Weight and building muscle. As we become older and less active, our bodies tend to lose muscle mass which then decreases metabolism, leading to weight gain. Make an effort every day to do some resistance exercises to build muscle and be active by walking or performing other aerobic exercises. Additionally, check your BMI and try to eat a healthy diet to obtain weight loss.
- Choose heart healthy foods. Load up on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Avoid fat and cut the junk food. Choose one day of the week to indulge on a piece of chocolate cake or pizza and chips.
- Cardio or aerobic exercise such as running, swimming, hiking, biking, and aerobics class is the best for heart health. Understandably, many cannot tolerate extreme aerobic exercise, so tone it down and go for a walk, ride a bike, or go hiking. Before starting an exercise program, contact your physician or health care provider.
- Emotions and sleep. Stress, frustration, and depression can take a toll on your heart. Try to be grateful for what you have in life, laugh, and connect with family and friends. Additionally, sleep is important in maintaining good heart health. Try to get 7 to 8 hours of restful sleep each night.
- Managing pre-existing heart conditions. If you currently have a heart condition such as congestive heart failure or have suffered a heart attack, work with your health care provider or care management team to manage and improve these conditions.
Following these heart healthy tips can leave you feeling better so you can get out and exercise, enjoy time with family and friends, and be grateful for the wonderful life you have. The heart is the essential and vital part of our bodies, and that’s why heart health is important.
At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, our care management teams are available to help you or your loved one obtain heart health or manage and improve heart conditions such as congestive heart failure or recover from a recent heart attack. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332, (800) 204-2332, or visit us here.