According to a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 30.3 million Americans, or 9.4 percent of the U.S. population has diabetes, and another 84.1 million have pre-diabetes. Additionally, according to a 2010 study by the CDC, one in four people don’t know they have diabetes. The team at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN can help with diabetes management.
These numbers are quite alarming and, unbeknownst to many, those who are pre-diabetic or don’t know they have diabetes could develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years. Efforts are important to reduce diabetes and the debilitating effects it can have on your body. The following can help reduce the risk of complications from diabetes.
- Regular checkups. Schedule a visit with your health care professional regularly to check for diabetes through blood tests such as glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- Blood pressure control. Keeping your blood pressure under control can be difficult, especially if you have diabetes, as one of the complications of diabetes is damage to the blood vessels in your body. See your physician if your blood pressure is not well controlled.
- Healthy diet. Make every effort to keep a healthy diet and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from foods high in fat, sugar, and salt.
- Exercising regularly is recommended for everyone, particularly if you’re diabetic, pre-diabetic, or have a family history of diabetes. Just 30 minutes per day of exercise can help with weight loss, weight management, and preventing diabetes.
- Quit smoking. Smoking is one of the leading risk factors for complications.
If not controlled, diabetes can affect the heart, eyes, kidneys, nervous system, skin, teeth and gums, and the immune system. That’s why it’s important to make every effort to reduce the risk of developing diabetes and, if you have diabetes or are pre-diabetic, to manage the symptoms.
At Comfort Health, our diabetes management team works closely with your health care provider to keep the lines of communication open and devise a plan that’s best for your health and diabetes management. Our teams are available to help manage diabetes conditions and complications and avoid emergency room or hospital visits.
If you or your loved one suffers from diabetes and are in need of diabetes management services, contact the professional team at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN. We work together with the patient, family, and health care team so life is enjoyable. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visiting Comfort Health for diabetes management services.