According to a recent report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 30.3 million Americans, or 9.4 percent of the U.S. population has diabetes, and another 84.1 million have pre-diabetes. Additionally, according to a 2010 study by the CDC, one in four people don’t know they have diabetes. The team at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN can help with diabetes management.
These numbers are quite alarming and, unbeknownst to many, those who are pre-diabetic or don’t know they have diabetes could develop type 2 diabetes within 5 years. Efforts are important to reduce diabetes and the debilitating effects it can have on your body. The following can help reduce the risk of complications from diabetes.
- Regular checkups. Schedule a visit with your health care professional regularly to check for diabetes through blood tests such as glucose, cholesterol, and triglycerides.
- Blood pressure control. Keeping your blood pressure under control can be difficult, especially if you have diabetes, as one of the complications of diabetes is damage to the blood vessels in your body. See your physician if your blood pressure is not well controlled.
- Healthy diet. Make every effort to keep a healthy diet and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Stay away from foods high in fat, sugar, and salt.
- Exercising regularly is recommended for everyone, particularly if you’re diabetic, pre-diabetic, or have a family history of diabetes. Just 30 minutes per day of exercise can help with weight loss, weight management, and preventing diabetes.
- Quit smoking. Smoking is one of the leading risk factors for complications.
If not controlled, diabetes can affect the heart, eyes, kidneys, nervous system, skin, teeth and gums, and the immune system. That’s why it’s important to make every effort to reduce the risk of developing diabetes and, if you have diabetes or are pre-diabetic, to manage the symptoms.
At Comfort Health, our diabetes management team works closely with your health care provider to keep the lines of communication open and devise a plan that’s best for your health and diabetes management. Our teams are available to help manage diabetes conditions and complications and avoid emergency room or hospital visits.
If you or your loved one suffers from diabetes and are in need of diabetes management services, contact the professional team at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN. We work together with the patient, family, and health care team so life is enjoyable. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visiting Comfort Health for diabetes management services.
Frequently, it feels that managing medications for yourself or your loved one requires a Master’s degree in pharmacology or medicine. Knowing what to take, when to take it, whether to take it with food or without food, what contraindications there may be as well as and any side effects that may be experienced can truly be difficult and overwhelming. Let the experts at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, assist you with a medication management program.
Medication management is a difficult process and requires reconciling, monitoring, and assessing which medications a patient may need while working closely with his or her health care provider.
Studies from the National Committee for Quality Assurance show that 60 percent of seniors suffer from conditions that are chronic and require prescription medication. And nearly 20 percent of these individuals are prescribed approximately 10 different medications to take each week. That number of drugs is quite astounding.
Why is medication management important and how can this process be organized to prevent medication errors, drug interactions, and side effects? Let’s look at some steps you can take.
- Know your medications. When patients receive disturbing diagnoses or news from their medical provider, it can often be overwhelming, leading to missed information about medications and the treatment plan. Have your physician or medical provider write down the medication plan or any drug changes so it can be easily accessible when you arrive home.
- Be aware of expired medications. Expired medications can be dangerous and less effective. For example, if you have been prescribed a medication for blood pressure control and it’s expired, it may not be as effective in keeping your blood pressure at the needed level. Check expiration dates of medication and discard out-dated drugs if you have any around.
- Keep a schedule. It can be confusing, particularly if you are taking several medications, to know which one to take when. So, keep a schedule, set alarms, and use pill boxes to help remind you of when to take your medications.
- Work with an agency for medication management. Don’t let yourself be overwhelmed by the daunting task of trying to remember your medication program. Instead, contact an agency that specializes in medication management, and let an expert assist you or your loved one.
At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, we know how difficult it can be to ensure you or your loved one takes the proper medication at the proper time while following the proper instructions. That’s why we’re here to help make the process much easier. Our highly qualified registered nurses are trained to offer comprehensive medication management services by reviewing, reconciling, modifying, if necessary, and assuring compliance with the specific medication regimen recommended by a person’s medical provider. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or by visiting Comfort Health’s website here for your medication management needs. We’ll work with you to set up a management program that is best for you.
Webster’s Dictionary describes mother (mom) as “a female parent, a woman in authority, or an old or elderly woman.” While these definitions may all be true, mom can also be defined as “a rock, support system, and friend.” If your mom is now an elderly woman nearing the stage of her life when she needs and deserves extra assistance , treat her well this Mother’s Day by giving her these services through Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
Maintaining a well-rounded lifestyle for mom is important. After all, she deserves a less hectic and stressful life at her age. Supportive services such as medication administration, personal care, restaurant style meals, beautician services, and activities in a secured building are things mom would certainly appreciate and enjoy. Comfort Health benefits include:
- Balanced and enriched lives. Assisted living facilities have grown in popularity over the last several years because they are places meant to enrich the lives of those who may need assistance with some day-to-day living activities.
- Healthcare plan. Healthcare needs within an assisted living facility can be collaborated between the facility and the healthcare team such as a medical provider, nurse, the resident, and the family. This allows families to determine which services are best for mom.
- Short-term illness care. Ailments such as the flu and pneumonia may seem small, but when an elderly individual is affected, it’s often more dangerous because of their inability to fight infections. Also, falling can lead to broken bones and leave elderly individuals bedridden. Healthcare assisted living services can help individuals recover safely and allow them to regain their independence and quality of life.
- Long-term illness care. Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, anxiety, and depression are some of the long-term illnesses that require regular visits to a healthcare provider. If these illnesses are kept under control, healthcare assisted living services can easily and safely monitor and assess residents within the comfort of their living space at the assisted living facility. Remember, however, that as these conditions progress, different medical care and emotional support may be necessary.
Each individual’s personal, emotional, and medical needs are different, and finding the right balance and solution to these needs is challenging and important. That’s why Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, is here to help mom and her family during a somewhat difficult transition from her own home to an assisted living facility. Our assisted living healthcare services are top-notch and ensure the needs of the resident and the family always come first. Our staff is devoted to giving mom the independence, quality of life, and necessary care that she needs to balance and enrich her life. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visit us here. This Mother’s Day treat mom to healthcare assisted living services for a life filled with enrichment and independence.
According to the dictionary, a heart is “the essential or most vital part of something.” In our bodies, the heart is the essential and most vital part of us, for without it there would be no life. Heart health is extremely important and should never be taken for granted. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN has care management teams to help with heart conditions, cardiac care, and maintaining heart health.
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. As we age, many begin to think of heart health and what to do to prevent heart problems such as congestive heart failure, and heart attacks. The following tips can serve as a guide to improving heart health.
- Weight and building muscle. As we become older and less active, our bodies tend to lose muscle mass which then decreases metabolism, leading to weight gain. Make an effort every day to do some resistance exercises to build muscle and be active by walking or performing other aerobic exercises. Additionally, check your BMI and try to eat a healthy diet to obtain weight loss.
- Choose heart healthy foods. Load up on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Avoid fat and cut the junk food. Choose one day of the week to indulge on a piece of chocolate cake or pizza and chips.
- Cardio or aerobic exercise such as running, swimming, hiking, biking, and aerobics class is the best for heart health. Understandably, many cannot tolerate extreme aerobic exercise, so tone it down and go for a walk, ride a bike, or go hiking. Before starting an exercise program, contact your physician or health care provider.
- Emotions and sleep. Stress, frustration, and depression can take a toll on your heart. Try to be grateful for what you have in life, laugh, and connect with family and friends. Additionally, sleep is important in maintaining good heart health. Try to get 7 to 8 hours of restful sleep each night.
- Managing pre-existing heart conditions. If you currently have a heart condition such as congestive heart failure or have suffered a heart attack, work with your health care provider or care management team to manage and improve these conditions.
Following these heart healthy tips can leave you feeling better so you can get out and exercise, enjoy time with family and friends, and be grateful for the wonderful life you have. The heart is the essential and vital part of our bodies, and that’s why heart health is important.
At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, our care management teams are available to help you or your loved one obtain heart health or manage and improve heart conditions such as congestive heart failure or recover from a recent heart attack. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332, (800) 204-2332, or visit us here.
March is National Nutrition Month, and there’s no better time to ensure you and your loved ones are eating healthy with a balanced, nutritious diet, particularly if someone has diabetes. Type 2 diabetes often develops in middle-aged or older adults, and eating a healthy diet along with exercise can work to prevent diabetes. At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, we understand how diabetes can slow an individual down. We have Registered Nurses available to assist with education, diabetic diets and a care plan to keep diabetes under control and leave you or your loved one feeling well.
There’s no doubt that eating fresh fruits and vegetables, limiting sweet treats, and exercising regularly all benefit your body when you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes. However, elderly individuals are often not aware or familiar with what type of diet is best suited for them, particularly if they have other health issues. That’s why it’s important to work closely with medical staff and communicate with physicians and other health care providers.
- Meeting regularly with a nurse or case manager. When diabetes strikes, it can be difficult to handle and keep under control. By meeting regularly with a nurse trained to provide in home diabetic education, you will find a program that’s right for you or your loved one.
- Exercise. Exercise is important for all aspects of life, making you feel better, sleep better, and even think more clearly. What exercise can really help with is the control of diabetes. An RN case manager can help to set up an exercise program that’s not too rigorous but enough to help keep diabetes under control.
- Meal plan. You’ve probably read or heard it said to eat several small meals per day instead of three large meals. Eating healthy foods several times per day in moderate amounts has been proven to be more effective in treating diabetes complications and keeping your blood sugar levels under control. Consider a homemaker to assist with regular meal preparation.
- Know what foods to avoid. Heart disease and stroke are at increased risk if you suffer from diabetes. Staying away from or limiting foods high in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, and sodium can decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Know recommended foods. Healthy carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products are top on the list of recommended foods when following a diabetic diet. Foods rich in fiber as well as the “good” fats (foods with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats) are recommended as well.
If you or your loved one suffers from diabetes, March is the perfect time to get the help needed with diabetes management through a diabetic diet and exercise program. At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, we know the importance of controlling and managing diabetes. That’s why our trained staff of homemakers, nurse case managers, social workers, home health aides, and field nurses stand ready to create a plan that will be most beneficial to the client.
March is National Nutrition Month, so take the time needed to invest in the expert help of the staff at Comfort Health in treating and controlling diabetes through diet, exercise, and a diabetic education. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visiting us here. When you need education on diabetes management and control, take advantage of the diabetes management services at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
More and more people in Rochester, MN, are having to face the reality of their parents getting older and needing greater assistance. Whether they’re struggling with illness, physical limitations, or simply having trouble getting around, many aging parents need an extra hand. Unfortunately, this often means moving them out of their home and into a care facility where they have the support they need. However, with home health aides from Comfort Health, your parents can stay in their home and maintain their independence! Let’s discuss the top benefits of home health aides.
- Preference: Your parents most likely prefer to stay in their home rather than move into a care facility, and it’s easy to understand why. Their home offers security, comfort, and independence. It’s also familiar. With help from home health aides, your parents can stay in their home and maintain their independence longer while still getting the help they need.
- Safety: As elderly people, your parents are often vulnerable to falls, burglary, or health emergencies. With a home health professional, your parents have someone who can help prevent problems and assist in emergencies.
- Peace of Mind: Unfortunately, you can’t always be available to help your parents; however, a home health aide can. This gives you and your parents a peace of mind that they’ll be safe and well taken care of.
- Social Factor: As your parents age, it becomes more difficult for them to get out and socialize. A home health aide professional offers social opportunities to offset feelings of loneliness and isolation, which improves your parents’ mood and overall health.
- Cost Efficiency: Care facilities tend to be expensive. In comparison, assistance from home health aides is a more cost-efficient option that provides the necessary help and security your parents need.
Home health aides offer all of the benefits of a care facility while still helping your parents remain in their home, maintain their independence, and receive the help they need. Our home health aides offer a variety of home care services to clients in Rochester, MN, and the surrounding areas. They also follow a healthcare plan that’s customized to the individual client. Learn more about what our home health aides can do by contacting us at (507) 281-2332 or visiting us here!
Most think that keeping seniors safe in their own home is all about falling or being unable to make it up and down the stairs on their own. However, what if one of the important factors of keeping a senior safe in their own home was to ensure they stay warm? Keep your senior safe and warm this winter with the wellness program and companion and home safety services from Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
Frigid winter temperatures in the upper Midwest are part of the norm and a threat to the elderly population. That’s why it’s important to be extra vigilant and check in on the elderly or those confined to their homes to be certain they’re safe and warm.
Being involved in a wellness program with companion services is a great opportunity to ensure your loved one is safe and comfortable. Some tips to consider are:
- Furnace or heating source is working properly. Seniors tend to be more vulnerable to colder temperatures. Be certain the furnace or heating source is working properly.
- Leaks and drafts. Often, the seal around windows and doors is not tight, allowing a leak and draft of cold air to enter the home. This then results in colder temperatures that don’t allow the furnace or heating source to catch up. If you notice leaks and drafts, contact a handyman or professional to caulk and seal around windows and doors.
- If a home is poorly insulated or there are air leaks in the ceilings to the attic, it may be time to install more insulation to keep the warm air from escaping and the cold air from entering the home.
- Have a back-up plan. In the event the furnace or heating source goes out, have a back-up plan for your senior to go be with a family member or neighbor.
If you live a distance from your loved one and feel that having someone check in on them would be beneficial to both you and your senior, contact Comfort Health in Rochester, MN to arrange for enrollment in our wellness, home safety, and companion services program. Comfort Health knows how wicked Midwest winters can be. That’s why we stand ready and available to check on your senior to ensure they’re comfortable and well taken care of while maintaining their independence for as long as possible.
Contact us today at (507) 281-2332, toll free at 800-204-2332, or visit us here. Keep your senior safe and warm this winter with the wellness program and companion and home safety services from Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
Recovering from a fall, accident, or hospital stay can be a difficult challenge which requires patience, diligence, attentiveness, and time. What if you don’t have these four qualities to help a loved one after they’ve suffered a fall, accident, or hospital stay? Finding an alternative for care in Rochester, MN need not be difficult with complex skilled nursing services through Comfort Health.
Complex skilled nursing services provide care to clients who require medical services for conditions that can only be handled by a licensed nurse, not a caretaker. These services enable clients to receive the specialized medical care they need right in their home. Check out the benefits of complex skilled nursing services:
- One-on-one care and attention to detail. Having one-on-one contact and care by a skilled registered nurse in the comfort of the client’s own home is one of the key benefits of complex skilled nursing services. This service provides a consistent and enhanced level of care with excellent attention to detail.
- Increased quality of life. There’s nothing more important than quality of life, and enlisting the help of a skilled registered nurse for complex medical problems is of the utmost importance in increasing the quality of life for a loved one.
- Decreased risk of infection. Infection is one of the leading causes of medical problems or death in high-risk patients. With skilled nursing services, the risk of infection is decreased because of the attention to detail, management of medical services, close contact with the client’s physicians, and knowledge of a treatment plan to promptly treat the infection.
- Lower cost for in-home care vs. facility-based care. Most individuals rebound and heal quickly in the comfort of their own home and surroundings. That’s why in-home skilled nursing services is beneficial and more cost effective than facility-based care.
- Social and spiritual support. Everyone needs social and spiritual support for healing both physically and emotionally. Having an in-home support system through skilled nursing services can reduce the risk of depression and keep your loved one on the road to recovery.
If you’re in Rochester, MN and could benefit from complex skilled nursing services, contact Comfort Health. Our ultimate goal is to provide skilled nursing services to meet the physical and emotional needs of your loved one. We ensure that the highest quality of care is delivered so you have the peace of mind knowing your loved one is safe, happy, and on the road to recovery. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visit us here. We’ve got you covered with complex skilled nursing services.
One of the most enjoyable aspects of the holidays is spending time with family, whether near or far. What if you or a loved one, however, feel travel isn’t possible because of illness or inability to withstand a long drive or flight? Consider a travel nurse through Comfort Health in Rochester, MN to accompany your loved one during the holiday season on commercial airlines, chartered planes, or ground travel.
Taking advantage of travel nursing assistance can help you get together with loved ones over the holidays despite having medical circumstances. The benefits of travel nursing include:
- Ability to travel. Medical circumstances often prohibit individuals from traveling. A travel nurse means you have medical care at your fingertips, so you can rest easy that travels will be safe for your health.
- Peace of mind. Worry is always at the forefront when a loved one is travelling, particularly if they have medical issues. A travel nurse will give you the peace of mind that your loved one will be able to make the trip while having the medical assistance they need.
- A travel nurse doesn’t just provide medical assistance but acts as an advocate. In the event of a medical emergency, they can provide others with important medical information. They will also make sure your loved one has everything they need to travel safely. For example, if your loved one requires certain accommodations due to their health, a travel nurse will ensure they are accommodated.
- Daily living assistance. If you or your loved one needs assistance with daily living, consider a travel nurse to help with these activities. This will not only benefit the patient, but family members as well.
- Time spent with loved ones. Time with loved ones is important and, without the assistance of a travel nurse, you may not have the opportunity to spend holidays or other events together.
Living an active life and being able to spend time with family around the holidays is important no matter your age. That’s why a travel nurse provides a perfect opportunity for a holiday get-together with your family if you require medical assistance. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN understands the importance of providing peace of mind to family and friends knowing that your loved one is safe during travels. Leave the organization and medical needs of the trip to us by calling (800) 204-2332 or visiting us here. Enjoy the holidays and spend time with family and friends with travel nursing services through Comfort Health.
Breaking a leg or arm, needing a hip replacement, or being hospitalized for a medical illness can all take a toll on a body. Unless you’re very young and spry, chances are high that you may require physical or occupational therapy after such a life-changing event. Studies show that most individuals, particularly the elderly, prefer to heal at home rather than being placed in a skilled nursing facility to obtain physical and occupational therapy. In Rochester, MN, if you need assistance with physical, occupational, or speech therapy, Comfort Health has you covered with in-home therapy services, so you can heal at home.
If you have a medical illness and would benefit from nursing and support staff for physical and occupational therapy, consider the following benefits of in-home therapy services:
- Reduce falls and hospital readmissions. Everyone is more confident and comfortable in their own home and surroundings. Therefore, in-home therapy services will help to reduce falls and hospital readmissions.
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy services. If you have recently had surgery or suffered a medical illness such as a stroke and need physical, occupational, or speech therapy, consider in-home therapy services instead of a rehabilitation facility.
- Assess accessibility and safety of your home. Trained members of an in-home therapy service team can see issues with accessibility and make your home a safe place, preventing falls and other safety concerns.
- Close monitoring. While many individuals or families feel that the only safe place for close monitoring is in the hospital, this isn’t the case in today’s world. In-home therapy services allow the patient to be monitored closely at home through frequent visits.
- Develop a therapy program. Through an evaluation and working closely with physicians and other medical staff, in-home therapy services can help you or your loved one regain strength, movement, coordination, speech, or occupational skills to remain at home for the long-term.
In-home therapy services such as physical, occupational, or speech therapy are safe and effective and allow the individual more time in the comfort of their home. At Comfort Health, we understand where healing is found and that’s why we stand ready to help with physical, occupational, and speech therapy so you or your loved one can regain the strength, movement, coordination, speech, and occupational skills to stay in their homes longer. Contact Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, by calling (507) 281-2332, toll-free (800) 204-2332, or visit us here and heal at home with in-home therapy services.