March is National Nutrition Month, and there’s no better time to ensure you and your loved ones are eating healthy with a balanced, nutritious diet, particularly if someone has diabetes. Type 2 diabetes often develops in middle-aged or older adults, and eating a healthy diet along with exercise can work to prevent diabetes. At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, we understand how diabetes can slow an individual down. We have Registered Nurses available to assist with education, diabetic diets and a care plan to keep diabetes under control and leave you or your loved one feeling well.
There’s no doubt that eating fresh fruits and vegetables, limiting sweet treats, and exercising regularly all benefit your body when you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes. However, elderly individuals are often not aware or familiar with what type of diet is best suited for them, particularly if they have other health issues. That’s why it’s important to work closely with medical staff and communicate with physicians and other health care providers.
- Meeting regularly with a nurse or case manager. When diabetes strikes, it can be difficult to handle and keep under control. By meeting regularly with a nurse trained to provide in home diabetic education, you will find a program that’s right for you or your loved one.
- Exercise. Exercise is important for all aspects of life, making you feel better, sleep better, and even think more clearly. What exercise can really help with is the control of diabetes. An RN case manager can help to set up an exercise program that’s not too rigorous but enough to help keep diabetes under control.
- Meal plan. You’ve probably read or heard it said to eat several small meals per day instead of three large meals. Eating healthy foods several times per day in moderate amounts has been proven to be more effective in treating diabetes complications and keeping your blood sugar levels under control. Consider a homemaker to assist with regular meal preparation.
- Know what foods to avoid. Heart disease and stroke are at increased risk if you suffer from diabetes. Staying away from or limiting foods high in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, and sodium can decrease your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Know recommended foods. Healthy carbohydrates such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products are top on the list of recommended foods when following a diabetic diet. Foods rich in fiber as well as the “good” fats (foods with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats) are recommended as well.
If you or your loved one suffers from diabetes, March is the perfect time to get the help needed with diabetes management through a diabetic diet and exercise program. At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, we know the importance of controlling and managing diabetes. That’s why our trained staff of homemakers, nurse case managers, social workers, home health aides, and field nurses stand ready to create a plan that will be most beneficial to the client.
March is National Nutrition Month, so take the time needed to invest in the expert help of the staff at Comfort Health in treating and controlling diabetes through diet, exercise, and a diabetic education. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visiting us here. When you need education on diabetes management and control, take advantage of the diabetes management services at Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
More and more people in Rochester, MN, are having to face the reality of their parents getting older and needing greater assistance. Whether they’re struggling with illness, physical limitations, or simply having trouble getting around, many aging parents need an extra hand. Unfortunately, this often means moving them out of their home and into a care facility where they have the support they need. However, with home health aides from Comfort Health, your parents can stay in their home and maintain their independence! Let’s discuss the top benefits of home health aides.
- Preference: Your parents most likely prefer to stay in their home rather than move into a care facility, and it’s easy to understand why. Their home offers security, comfort, and independence. It’s also familiar. With help from home health aides, your parents can stay in their home and maintain their independence longer while still getting the help they need.
- Safety: As elderly people, your parents are often vulnerable to falls, burglary, or health emergencies. With a home health professional, your parents have someone who can help prevent problems and assist in emergencies.
- Peace of Mind: Unfortunately, you can’t always be available to help your parents; however, a home health aide can. This gives you and your parents a peace of mind that they’ll be safe and well taken care of.
- Social Factor: As your parents age, it becomes more difficult for them to get out and socialize. A home health aide professional offers social opportunities to offset feelings of loneliness and isolation, which improves your parents’ mood and overall health.
- Cost Efficiency: Care facilities tend to be expensive. In comparison, assistance from home health aides is a more cost-efficient option that provides the necessary help and security your parents need.
Home health aides offer all of the benefits of a care facility while still helping your parents remain in their home, maintain their independence, and receive the help they need. Our home health aides offer a variety of home care services to clients in Rochester, MN, and the surrounding areas. They also follow a healthcare plan that’s customized to the individual client. Learn more about what our home health aides can do by contacting us at (507) 281-2332 or visiting us here!
Most think that keeping seniors safe in their own home is all about falling or being unable to make it up and down the stairs on their own. However, what if one of the important factors of keeping a senior safe in their own home was to ensure they stay warm? Keep your senior safe and warm this winter with the wellness program and companion and home safety services from Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
Frigid winter temperatures in the upper Midwest are part of the norm and a threat to the elderly population. That’s why it’s important to be extra vigilant and check in on the elderly or those confined to their homes to be certain they’re safe and warm.
Being involved in a wellness program with companion services is a great opportunity to ensure your loved one is safe and comfortable. Some tips to consider are:
- Furnace or heating source is working properly. Seniors tend to be more vulnerable to colder temperatures. Be certain the furnace or heating source is working properly.
- Leaks and drafts. Often, the seal around windows and doors is not tight, allowing a leak and draft of cold air to enter the home. This then results in colder temperatures that don’t allow the furnace or heating source to catch up. If you notice leaks and drafts, contact a handyman or professional to caulk and seal around windows and doors.
- If a home is poorly insulated or there are air leaks in the ceilings to the attic, it may be time to install more insulation to keep the warm air from escaping and the cold air from entering the home.
- Have a back-up plan. In the event the furnace or heating source goes out, have a back-up plan for your senior to go be with a family member or neighbor.
If you live a distance from your loved one and feel that having someone check in on them would be beneficial to both you and your senior, contact Comfort Health in Rochester, MN to arrange for enrollment in our wellness, home safety, and companion services program. Comfort Health knows how wicked Midwest winters can be. That’s why we stand ready and available to check on your senior to ensure they’re comfortable and well taken care of while maintaining their independence for as long as possible.
Contact us today at (507) 281-2332, toll free at 800-204-2332, or visit us here. Keep your senior safe and warm this winter with the wellness program and companion and home safety services from Comfort Health in Rochester, MN.
Recovering from a fall, accident, or hospital stay can be a difficult challenge which requires patience, diligence, attentiveness, and time. What if you don’t have these four qualities to help a loved one after they’ve suffered a fall, accident, or hospital stay? Finding an alternative for care in Rochester, MN need not be difficult with complex skilled nursing services through Comfort Health.
Complex skilled nursing services provide care to clients who require medical services for conditions that can only be handled by a licensed nurse, not a caretaker. These services enable clients to receive the specialized medical care they need right in their home. Check out the benefits of complex skilled nursing services:
- One-on-one care and attention to detail. Having one-on-one contact and care by a skilled registered nurse in the comfort of the client’s own home is one of the key benefits of complex skilled nursing services. This service provides a consistent and enhanced level of care with excellent attention to detail.
- Increased quality of life. There’s nothing more important than quality of life, and enlisting the help of a skilled registered nurse for complex medical problems is of the utmost importance in increasing the quality of life for a loved one.
- Decreased risk of infection. Infection is one of the leading causes of medical problems or death in high-risk patients. With skilled nursing services, the risk of infection is decreased because of the attention to detail, management of medical services, close contact with the client’s physicians, and knowledge of a treatment plan to promptly treat the infection.
- Lower cost for in-home care vs. facility-based care. Most individuals rebound and heal quickly in the comfort of their own home and surroundings. That’s why in-home skilled nursing services is beneficial and more cost effective than facility-based care.
- Social and spiritual support. Everyone needs social and spiritual support for healing both physically and emotionally. Having an in-home support system through skilled nursing services can reduce the risk of depression and keep your loved one on the road to recovery.
If you’re in Rochester, MN and could benefit from complex skilled nursing services, contact Comfort Health. Our ultimate goal is to provide skilled nursing services to meet the physical and emotional needs of your loved one. We ensure that the highest quality of care is delivered so you have the peace of mind knowing your loved one is safe, happy, and on the road to recovery. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visit us here. We’ve got you covered with complex skilled nursing services.
One of the most enjoyable aspects of the holidays is spending time with family, whether near or far. What if you or a loved one, however, feel travel isn’t possible because of illness or inability to withstand a long drive or flight? Consider a travel nurse through Comfort Health in Rochester, MN to accompany your loved one during the holiday season on commercial airlines, chartered planes, or ground travel.
Taking advantage of travel nursing assistance can help you get together with loved ones over the holidays despite having medical circumstances. The benefits of travel nursing include:
- Ability to travel. Medical circumstances often prohibit individuals from traveling. A travel nurse means you have medical care at your fingertips, so you can rest easy that travels will be safe for your health.
- Peace of mind. Worry is always at the forefront when a loved one is travelling, particularly if they have medical issues. A travel nurse will give you the peace of mind that your loved one will be able to make the trip while having the medical assistance they need.
- A travel nurse doesn’t just provide medical assistance but acts as an advocate. In the event of a medical emergency, they can provide others with important medical information. They will also make sure your loved one has everything they need to travel safely. For example, if your loved one requires certain accommodations due to their health, a travel nurse will ensure they are accommodated.
- Daily living assistance. If you or your loved one needs assistance with daily living, consider a travel nurse to help with these activities. This will not only benefit the patient, but family members as well.
- Time spent with loved ones. Time with loved ones is important and, without the assistance of a travel nurse, you may not have the opportunity to spend holidays or other events together.
Living an active life and being able to spend time with family around the holidays is important no matter your age. That’s why a travel nurse provides a perfect opportunity for a holiday get-together with your family if you require medical assistance. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN understands the importance of providing peace of mind to family and friends knowing that your loved one is safe during travels. Leave the organization and medical needs of the trip to us by calling (800) 204-2332 or visiting us here. Enjoy the holidays and spend time with family and friends with travel nursing services through Comfort Health.
Breaking a leg or arm, needing a hip replacement, or being hospitalized for a medical illness can all take a toll on a body. Unless you’re very young and spry, chances are high that you may require physical or occupational therapy after such a life-changing event. Studies show that most individuals, particularly the elderly, prefer to heal at home rather than being placed in a skilled nursing facility to obtain physical and occupational therapy. In Rochester, MN, if you need assistance with physical, occupational, or speech therapy, Comfort Health has you covered with in-home therapy services, so you can heal at home.
If you have a medical illness and would benefit from nursing and support staff for physical and occupational therapy, consider the following benefits of in-home therapy services:
- Reduce falls and hospital readmissions. Everyone is more confident and comfortable in their own home and surroundings. Therefore, in-home therapy services will help to reduce falls and hospital readmissions.
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy services. If you have recently had surgery or suffered a medical illness such as a stroke and need physical, occupational, or speech therapy, consider in-home therapy services instead of a rehabilitation facility.
- Assess accessibility and safety of your home. Trained members of an in-home therapy service team can see issues with accessibility and make your home a safe place, preventing falls and other safety concerns.
- Close monitoring. While many individuals or families feel that the only safe place for close monitoring is in the hospital, this isn’t the case in today’s world. In-home therapy services allow the patient to be monitored closely at home through frequent visits.
- Develop a therapy program. Through an evaluation and working closely with physicians and other medical staff, in-home therapy services can help you or your loved one regain strength, movement, coordination, speech, or occupational skills to remain at home for the long-term.
In-home therapy services such as physical, occupational, or speech therapy are safe and effective and allow the individual more time in the comfort of their home. At Comfort Health, we understand where healing is found and that’s why we stand ready to help with physical, occupational, and speech therapy so you or your loved one can regain the strength, movement, coordination, speech, and occupational skills to stay in their homes longer. Contact Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, by calling (507) 281-2332, toll-free (800) 204-2332, or visit us here and heal at home with in-home therapy services.
No time to provide 24/7/365 care for your loved one? You understand that your parent or loved one will soon be in need of patient care management, but the process of finding a service to fit your needs is difficult and overwhelming. Having that first conversation with your loved one is hard and making sure everyone is in agreement and on the same page can add to the stress. In addition, neither family members or physicians and health care teams have extra time to squeeze out of their schedules. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, provides patient care management services because we know how important it is to keep the elderly happy and healthy while still having their independence.
Keeping the lines of communication open between the patient, the caregiver, and the health care team is critical. Often a patient care management service serves as the “quarterback” to make the decisions at the right time for the best outcome of the patient’s medical needs. The duties of a patient care management service are many.
- Assess medical needs. Reviewing the medical record and visiting with the health care team, patient, and family will allow the care management service to assess the medical needs of the patient.
- Establish a care plan. Once the medical needs have been assessed, the care management service can begin to prepare a care plan to determine what care and how much will be necessary to keep the patient comfortable, healthy, and allow them the independence to stay in their own home if possible.
- Medication management. Medication administration can be quite difficult and, if not administered properly or on time, can lead to a catastrophe. A care management service can work with the health care team to reconcile medications and schedule follow-up visits.
- Connect with resources. Often the elderly don’t have the resources or the knowledge of what their medical care needs entail. A care management service can assist and connect them with social workers, behavioral health specialists, pharmacists, home health care providers, and palliative care.
- Regular interaction and follow-up services. Regular interaction with clients to help them manage their current conditions or help them to avoid other complications that could lead to hospital admission is extremely important. Follow-up services are also imperative to assist in scheduling hospital follow-up appointments or help with the transition from hospital to home.
We understand that you want the best for your family and that’s why Comfort Health would be the right fit for you. Our trained and knowledgeable staff stands ready to assist in care management services of your loved one or yourself. We also understand how important it is for the client to maintain their independence. If you’re looking for care management services in Rochester, MN, contact Comfort Health by calling (507) 281-2332 or searching Comfort Health.
Take 2 capsules in the morning, 1 at night; take 1 tablet by mouth every other day as symptoms persist; apply topically to affected areas; do not take this medication on an empty stomach or with alcohol. Wow! Medication management is a difficult task and can lead to dangerous complications if not followed as instructed. That’s why finding help with medication management is important for the safety and well-being of you or your loved one. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN provides medication management services for safe and appropriate medication administration.
For most individuals, the main reason they take medications is to improve their quality of life and overall well-being. However, taking multiple medications at different times of the day, different dosages, and for different health issues can be quite confusing. That’s why medication management services are helpful and have many benefits:
- Ensuring health of patients. Medication of any sort is nothing to play around with. Administering proper dosages is incredibly important as wrong doses coupled with interactions with other drugs can be very dangerous or even fatal. Medication management services helps to ensure the health of patients by confirming medications are reviewed, reconciled, and administered properly.
- Less stress on patient and family. Administration of medication can be stressful for the patient as well as the family. Why not let a medication management service help relieve the stress and prepare and administer medications for you or your loved one?
- Less emergency room visits, hospital stays, and additional illnesses. Failing or forgetting to take medications can lead to unexpected trips to the emergency room, hospital stays, additional illnesses, or serious consequences. Medication management services ensures prescriptions are filled and taken regularly and on time.
- Improvement in quality of life. When medications are taken as prescribed, there’s a definite improvement in the patient’s quality of life. Furthermore, medication administration through medication management services is provided by a professional and trained health care provider who works closely with the patient’s physician to ensure proper dosages and administration are followed and any drug interactions that could lead to serious consequences are prevented.
If you or someone you know could benefit from medication management services, contact Comfort Health in Rochester, MN. We know the importance of medication review, reconciliation, and administration. That’s why we provide a helpful tool through medication management services, so you can have the peace of mind that your loved one is being cared for in the best way possible, all while improving their quality of life, reducing emergency room or hospital visits, and avoiding the danger of incorrect administration.
Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332, toll-free at (800) 204-2332, or visit us here for more information. Medication management can be a difficult task. Contact Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, and take advantage of our medication management services.
July 11 is “National Cheer Up the Lonely Day.” Although this may seem a little silly, there are many seniors that need some assistance with day-to-day activities and social interaction that comes with growing older. Comfort Health in Rochester, MN provides in-home companionship for seniors so that “National Cheer Up the Lonely Day” can be every day.
If you have a loved one who is growing in age and needs some supportive conversation, social interaction and outings, and encouragement, companion care services offer many benefits:
- Friendly and supportive conversation. Growing old can be lonely and having the peace of mind that someone is available for regular conversation can be encouraging and reassuring.
- Emotional support. Just knowing that a professional is available and nearby for emotional support of a senior can go a long way for the family as well as the client.
- Social activities. Getting involved in social activities that are interesting to the senior is important for their well-being.
- Light exercise. Going for walks or doing a light exercise program helps to stay alert and fit.
- As we grow older, it becomes more difficult to get to both medical and non-medical appointments. Companion services help to arrange transportation and accompany the senior to both medical and non-medical appointments.
- Monitor senior’s care, safety, and well-being. Handling household tasks can be difficult. Companion services assist with these duties and monitor the senior’s safety and well-being.
We all need a little encouragement from day-to-day and having a friend or professional’s help is important and welcomed. At Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, we understand how growing older can be lonely, discouraging, and difficult at times. That’s why we provide companion care to ease the burden on the family, give the peace-of-mind that a caregiver is present, and provide social interaction and assistance with some of the day-to-day activities. Our trained and professional staff is available to provide the best companion care possible through individualized services. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visit us here! Our “National Cheer Up the Lonely Day” is every day with companion services.
Do you ever find yourself frustrated because you cannot remember things? Can’t think of the word you’re trying to say, or you totally forgot your spouse’s birthday? These things are pretty typical in daily life, but what if you or someone you love is struggling with severe memory loss, cognitive impairment, or even Alzheimer’s? June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month. If you are caring for someone with memory loss, dementia, or Alzheimer’s disease and need assistance with their care, find memory loss care in Rochester, MN from the caring professionals at Comfort Health.
If you are considering memory care or are searching for a memory care unit for your loved one, know what questions you need to ask to get the appropriate services to fit your needs:
- Monthly rate and services. Financials are important to know up front. What will the monthly rate be for housing and what services are included?
- Private or semi-private rooms. Would your loved one benefit from a private room or would they find the companionship of a roommate comforting?
- Other programs. Be sure to check into what other programs are offered at the center. For example, does the facility have an area to exercise, receive physical therapy, or participate in social activities?
- Staff-to-resident ratio. No one wants their loved one placed into a memory care unit and left alone and forgotten. Look into the staff-to-resident ratio to be sure your loved one is attended to and knows that someone is there to help when needed.
- Staff training. The level of staff training is very important to ensure your loved one is left in good hands. This, alone, will give you the peace of mind knowing everything will be okay after you leave.
- Communication. Inquire about how the facility or unit communicates with the family about the needs and well-being of a loved one.
- Meals, housekeeping, and laundry services. We all know that meals are important to keep your loved one strong and well. What types of meals are provided and who performs the housekeeping and laundry services?
These are a few of the questions that will help you determine what memory care unit will best fit the needs of your loved one. Caring for someone with memory loss, dementia, or Alzheimer’s is difficult, and that’s why you should look to Comfort Health in Rochester, MN, for professional, knowledgeable, and compassionate memory loss care. We provide complex skilled nursing and home health care services 24 hours a day, and our trained and monitored staff offer specialized care, so you can feel at ease knowing your loved one will be okay. June is Alzheimer’s and Brain Awareness Month. Get the memory loss care you need from Comfort Health in Rochester, MN. Contact us today by calling (507) 281-2332 or visit us here for more information!